December 21, 2010

Treasures of the Heart


The Bible amazes me. I'm fascinated by the fact that one can read the same story a zillion times and gain new insight every time.


During the season, I've spent time reading the Christmas story in the book of Luke. The same story that is read every year. However, this year, one little sentence just grabbed me. While in the manger listening to the shepherds explain what the angels had told them, "Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." (Luke 2:9).


I remembered when I gave birth to my first and everyone was so excited to meet her. The room was packed with visitors waiting to see the new baby. I was so proud and elated! I cannot begin to imagine the emotion Mary contained when unknown shepards appeared and confirmed what she already knew. She treasured the moment, and kept it close in her heart.


Later, in Luke 2:41, when Jesus has grown into a boy, he stays behind and listens to teachers, while his parents begin a trek back home. After realizing that he is not with them, his parents anxiously went back and searched for him. As any parent would do, they questioned why he had done this to them. He answered, "Didn't you know that I had to be in my Father's house?" and then returned obediently with them. Again, (v.51) "But his mother treasured these things in her heart."


As a mom, I love taking mental photo's and thinking, "I want to remember this moment forever." Little giggles, silly faces, looks of accomplishment, even pouty faces are among my favorites. When my kids are grown, I want to look at them and have a flood of memories of their childhood - the moments that got them to where they're going. I want to see all of the years gone by, but yet relish the moment of the present. I want to treasure these things in my heart the way Mary did of Jesus.

No comments: